Saturday, December 24, 2005

Question: Piece of Rail (?1888)

From: CNFarrow@Cox.Net

... I have a piece of track 11" long where the two holes are for connecting two rails. I was told it was rail from the original line. To the right of the holes is what looks like 888. I thought that the one hole removed the 1 as if it was 1888, but the hole isn't in line, and is a little smaller and probably would show some of the #1 on the outside of the hole.

The rail is 3 1/4" high, the foot is 3 1/4" wide, top of rail is 1 3/4" wide. I'm into model RR and have a golden spike laying on it as a display, but I make no claims.

Thanks for any information you can give. ...

—Richard L. Baumer


Blogger CPRR Discussion Group said...

From: "chris graves"

It would be most helpful if you could photograph the rail, and launch a picture of it to us. Failing that, look at the rail in the G J CHRIS GRAVES IRON COLLECTION on the museum site, and compare what you have to the rails shown there. The UPRR and the CPRR used iron 'pear shaped' rail from 1863 until 1872, when steel 'T' rail was introduced. Looking forward to hearing from you.

—G J Chris Graves, NewCastle, AltaCal'a

[P.S. Please e-mail the photo to]

12/24/2005 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Recent Messages